Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lemonade...Bad. Spicy Lentil Tomato Soup...Good.

Well, it's been three days... And I'll be brutally honest. I only fasted for 36 hours, but I have managed to remain free of caffeine, alcohol, sugar (not counting maple syrup), meat, and processed foods.  I feel great!  I think that my body just isn't going to deal with a food-free lifestyle, but it's doing quite well with a plant-based diet.  It still requires a great deal of discipline, which addresses one of the reasons I tried the fast. It's still alcohol-free, which addresses another reason I tried the fast. And I don't spend hours on end preparing salads and soups, which addresses the other reason I tried the fast.  So, I don't feel like a total failure...just like I identified a suitable middle ground.  Seriously, I don't know what type of person could survive ten days on this:
So...tonight's meal: Spicy Lentil Tomato Soup.  I improvised the recipe, so I can't really give precise measures, but here are the essential components:
2 handsful yellow lentils
1/2 diced onion
chopped garlic (sautee the onion and garlic in a bit of vegetable oil before adding the other ingredients)
salt
cayenne pepper
Garam masala
Curry Powder

Simmer in one can of tomato sauce and enough water to cover the lentils by about two inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment