Saturday, April 10, 2010

Curried Zucchini and Candied Maple Sweet Potatoes

Well...day five of this crazy alcohol/caffeine/meat/flour/sugar-free experience.  I have rediscovered the beauty of smoothies, soy protein, and vegetarian cooking from my years in Boston and Philadelphia. I'm once again enjoying clearer skin, higher energy, and overall better mood. Why did I stop eating like this? Oh...yeah...I remember (but that's another story for another time...suffice it to say that I understand why married women tend to get fat and die earlier than single women.)

I just had a wonderful meal of curried zucchini and candied maple sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods on earth, so I have very high standards when it comes to their preparation. I must say that substituting maple syrup for white sugar didn't detract from the experience one bit.

Candied Maple Sweet Potatoes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into rounds
1/2 c Grade A maple syrup (I didn't measure...I eyeballed it)
1 Tbs pure vanilla extract (again...eyeballed)
Nutmeg
Rinse sweet potato rounds under water and layer in the bottom of a pan (do not pat dry...the residual water will help make the glaze)
Pour maple syrup over sweet potato rounds, then add vanilla and nutmeg.
Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover pan, and let simmer until potatoes are tender (about 15 - 20 minutes), adding a little more water, if necessary.
2 - 3 servings

Curried Zucchini
1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1-inch strips
Curry Masala
Salt
Garlic
Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Drizzle zucchini with olive oil, lightly sprinkle with spices and sautee over medium-high heat until zucchini just begins to turn translucent (if you overcook it, it will fall apart).

No comments:

Post a Comment