Monday, April 19, 2010

Brown Rice...Tastes Like Popcorn

I cooked brown rice for the first time today. I forgot to take a picture and it's too late now...because it was so good it's history! I've eaten it at restaurants before and thought it was kind of tough and flavorless.  I knew I could do a better job at home. And I did. I *probably* used more salt than is healthful, but my rice was good! It tasted vaguely of popcorn...like Basmati rice. It was great under my veggie stirfry (I swear by Whole Foods' frozen Chinese Stir Fry vegetables).

The trick to good brown rice is to rinse it, boil it (5 parts water to 1 part rice) for 30 minutes, drain off the water, then let the rice steam for 10 minutes. I covered the pot with aluminum foil, then put the lid on so that no steam could escape.

I could get used to this.  So, I am 14 days meat-free, egg-free, sugar-free, and caffeine-free.  I have had a a few cocktails (I am still me) but I have cut waaaaaayyyyy back. And I am four pounds lighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment