Sunday, January 31, 2010

Use What You've Got: Grown-Up Tuna Noodle Casserole

In the interest of sticking to a budget, I am trying to go to the supermarket only when really necessary. My freezers, cabinets, and refrigerator are full of food, so I am making as many meals as possible from what's already in the apartment.

I had most of the ingredients for a tuna casserole for today's lunch, with the exception of peas.  So, I substituted broccoli for peas, penne for egg noddles, added a little white wine, a lot of crushed red pepper and ground white pepper, and made a grown up version of the children's favorite. Instead of topping it with bread crumbs (which I really don't like because they ALWAYS taste stale to me), I used a layer of Monterey Jack cheese and browned it under the broiler. (Excuse the cake pan...my cute baking dish is being held hostage by a "friend").

No comments:

Post a Comment