Saturday, October 31, 2009

Slow Cookin': Great Northern Beans

This Crock Pot may well be my favorite purchase of all 2009.  Today, I'm simmering Great Northern Beans with smoked turkey sausage and leftover ham from last week's Crock Pot meal.

Pre-Cooked

Crock Pot Great Northern Beans
2 15 oz cans Great Northern Beans
1 can chicken broth
1 smoked turkey sausage (it had been in my freezer for months), sliced
2 slabs leftover Coca Cola Ham (from last weekend's meal), cubed
2 Tbs chopped garlic
Red pepper flakes

I am a firm believer in not wasting food. I've never been on the cuspice of starvation and I've never not known where my next meal was coming from; I just I LOVE food and it horrifies me to think how much waste goes on in our country. I refuse to throw away perfectly good food and I'm discovering that my slow cooker will be the perfect accomplice in my food-frugal ways.

I'm going to let my beans cook on high for about 4 hours while I do laundry, hit the supermarket, clean my closet, and sip a cocktail (COCKTAIL DETAILS IN NEXT POST!)

No comments:

Post a Comment