Sunday, January 2, 2011

Apples Foster MY WAY

I had a craving for something sweet but I've been laying low on the processed sugar lately since it makes me crash like I'm coming down from a crack high. Fortunately for me, I have a half bag of brown sugar that's been hidden in the back of my cupboard for several months. I decided to make a sort of "Apples Foster"...minus the rum...and minus the ice cream. Instead, I used some dreadful cranberry vodka that is not fit for drinking but works for cooking. I peeled and sliced a Honeycrisp apple (my favorite this time of year) and warmed a tablespoon of butter in a small pan.  I added a teaspoon of brown sugar, some vanilla, cranberry vodka, nutmeg and lemon juice and let the apples cook until they were tender.
Disgusting cranberry infused vodka that I pawn off on guests.
Once done, I sprinkled a teensy bit (that's the culinary term) of brown sugar and cinnamon on top. My sugar craving is quelled for a few more days...

Apples Foster (minus the ice cream and rum...and flames)
This was tonight's dinner. Honey BBQ baby back ribs prepared in the slow cooker, spinach and garlic, and roasted potatoes with truffle oil. This was officially the last of the meat from my freezer. Gonna try this "less-meat" (not to be confused with "meat-less") thing again in 2011.
Spinach, Potatoes, and Honey BBQ Ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment