Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas Goodies! Bread and Wine...

Seven months later, I am back!  Winter has set in and I am spending more time indoors, so the mood to blog about food has returned. A few Christmas gifts have left me feeling particularly inspired.

My dear friend gifted me this Cuisinart bread maker after hearing me go on and on about it for the past several months.
I went out and purchased whole wheat flour and yeast and all sorts of other goodies so that I could break it in today, only to realize that the water I use must be between 80 - 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Since I have no heavenly clue how hot or cold my tap water is, I have to go out and buy a thermometer before I can use the machine.

Since (wo)man cannot live on bread alone, I was overjoyed to receive this Vinturi wine aerator that I have been lusting after since a trip to Sonoma about two years ago. It's only Noon here right now, but I had to try it out on a bottle of cheap Yellowtail Shiraz/Cab blend.
Vinturi Wine Aerator
 It works just fine!

Lately, I have been trying to live a "greener" lifestyle, so I am loathe to waste anything. Therefore, when I open a bottle of red, I am compelled to finish it before it turns bad. My friend decided to look out for my liver and bought me a wine vacuum by The Sharper Image, effectively removing my excuse to drink an entire bottle over the course of an evening (gee, thanks!). It periodically sucks the air out of the bottle and also serves as a thermometer. I'd better pour myself a second glass just to make sure it still works...
The Sharper Image Wine Vacuum/Preserver

No comments:

Post a Comment