Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sandra Lee Has Nothing on Me! Quick Chicken Enchiladas

For the past week, I've had an overwhelming urge for chicken enchiladas.  I knew that if I went to Uncle Julio's Hacienda, I'd end up spending $12 on the enchiladas and another $20 on two margaritas (I know myself well)...so I went the cheap route and made my own. My recipe yielded approximately six servings for about $8.50.  I portioned the leftovers and put them into the freezer for work lunches.  I used a couple shortcuts in this recipe (e.g., packaged taco seasoning and salsa verde from a jar) but they tasted homemade to me! (Though I probably wouldn't serve them to any Mexican friends).
Chicken Enchiladas
2 chicken breasts
1 can chicken broth
1/2 c water
6 flour tortillas
1/2 package McCormick Taco Seasoning
1 chipotle pepper
Fresh avocado slices
1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 c salsa verde

* Coat the chicken breasts in taco seasoning, then poach them, along with the chipotle pepper, in a large pot in the chicken broth and water
* Remove chicken breasts from pot (leave the broth in the pot) and shred them using two forks or finger
* Place shredded chicken back into pot and simmer for about five more minutes
* Spoon chicken into the center of the tortillas and roll them (as if you're making a wrap)
* Place the filled tortillas into a baking dish (fold side down so they don't open)
* Top with salsa and cheese
* Bake uncovered on 350 degrees until the salsa is hot and the cheese melts (about 15 - 20 minutes)
* Serve with avocado slices (you could make guacamole if you're feeling adventurous)

Again, six delicious meals for $8... Can't beat it! If I hadn't found chicken breasts on sale, I might have used a Sam's rotisserie chicken.

I had no tequila on hand to complete the Mexican theme and I thought, "Hmmm...aren't prickly pears from Central America?"  Not that I had prickly pears, or anything. However, I did have an old, old bottle of Rose's Pear Mixer (so old that the top was kinda crunchy when I unscrewed the cap), so I prepared a pear martini (1 part vodka and 1 part Rose's Pear Mixer).

No comments:

Post a Comment