Monday, February 15, 2010

Peanut Sweet Potato Soup with Blackened Shrimp

Well, I woke up at 7:00 on this holiday morning, got up, put on my workout clothes and.......made a pot of soup. Actually, two pots, but one of my soups is still bubbling in the slow cooker.

I adapted this recipe from a dish that I order when I visit West African restaurants. It's very spicy (although you can adjust the amount of spice based on your personal preference) and not at all sweet as one might expect from a soup made with peanut butter. You can also make it completely vegetarian by using vegetable stock and omitting the shrimp, or decide to substitute any other meat (it's really good with blackened chicken breast).

Peanut/Sweet Potato Soup with Blackened Shrimp
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbs chopped garlic
1/2 c natural, smooth peanut butter (I guess you could use Skippy in a pinch)
4 c chicken broth (or vegetable broth) -- Make certain to use enough to cover your potatoes by 1 inch.
1 Tbs vegetable oil
Salt, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes to taste. (I happen to use Lawry's Seasoned Salt).

Sautee onion and garlic in about 1 Tbs of oil in the bottom of your pot until they turn translucent.
Add sweet potato, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and salt/pepper and bring to a simmer.
Add peanut butter (honestly, I think I used a little more than 1/2 cup -- maybe 3/4) and let simmer on medium heat until potatoes are tender.

This is what you get...
Then either put the contents of the pot into a blender (be careful...hot foods in the blender expand and you can have a messy mini-explosion -- I speak from experience) or get yourself one of these handy immersion blenders and blend your soup right in the pot until it's creamy.


I topped mine with a few blackened shrimp (I coated mine with black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and chili powder, then blackened them in a nonstick skillet).  And here's the finished product...
My phone's camera is truly horrible. The soup is a deep, rich orange, as are the shrimp. It looks pale yellow here. I will have to begin using my "real" camera for these pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment